Given the success of our blog post about songs that feature the word “18” (no, I’m not going to link to it, just Google “songs about 18”), I thought I would try to generate some interest that’s related to something we actually do. A prolonged internet search turned up a surprising amount of songs with the word marketing in their lyrics. What I found is that most are somewhat derogatory, many are in languages other than English, and hip-hop is the most featured category. Derogatory or not, here are a few I really like:
- The Flaming Lips – Prescription: Love
- Logvn – Own Worst Enemy
- Paul Simon – Wartime Prayers
- E.S.G. – Gangsta Bitch
- The Kinks – Think Visual
- Citizens Band Radio – Carter USM
- Jay-Z – What More Can I Say
With that task accomplished, I spent a little time exploring one of my favorite topics: songs in commercials. Here are 6 combinations I love:
- Allister X for The Gap – Try not to dance
- Elton John for Samsung – Try not to weep and then cheer your fool head off
- Feist for Apple – Remember the Nano?
- Eminem for Chrysler – Possibly the best narration and song combo ever
- Walker Hayes for Applebee’s – Never thought I’d Shazam an Applebee’s commercial. Well done.
- Michael Andrews for Gears of War – So great I’ve got nothing to say